Saturday, February 19, 2011

Water

The water fills up slowly
Hot water, not quite boiling, but hot
I undress
Not slowly, not a strip tease
But also not quickly, not minute man soldier
More calmly, dignified
Pausing slightly between each piece
Not to examine the clothing, but myself
Soon, I look in the mirror
To take in the sight of my body
I breathe deeply and stare into my own eyes
Looking, searching, reassuring
I step into the water
I feel it move around my ankles
The heat nearly takes my breath away
I slip lower and lower into it
Until it covers my mouth
I start swallowing, deeply drinking
To the point where I feel I will vomit
Then I stop swallowing and start thinking
Thinking about what I want to do
The point of my life, of life in general
The water keeps pouring from the faucet
It is now on the tip of my nose
Instead of swallowing, I start breathing
Deeply, feeling the water deep inside me
In parts of me it should not be
I feel sleepy, like I should slip into a dream
Peacefully I float, on a cloud, relaxed
I hear yelling, but it is distant, I do not understand
Almost as if the yelling is the dream
I am vaguely aware of my body leaving the water
Of hands touching my body
But I am no longer of my body, I no longer reside there
I am separate, free, at peace

No comments:

Post a Comment